The ctools & GammaLib development team announces the release of version 1.1 of the software packages.This release adds significant functionality to the packages, including
- IACT analysis scripts
- A workflow manager
- Virtual Observatory interoperability
- Support for On/Off fitting
- Full energy dispersion support
- Support for Fermi/LAT Pass 8 analysis
In addition, we revised the format of the model definition XML files, please read http://cta.irap.omp.eu/ctools/users/user_manual/getting_started/models.html and update your XML files accordingly. The old format is still supported for legacy reasons, but we encourage you to use the new format from now on.You will find the full list of improvements, new features and bug fixes in the release history of the packages:
- ctools: http://cta.irap.omp.eu/ctools/users/release_history/1.1.html
- GammaLib: http://cta.irap.omp.eu/gammalib/users/release_history/1.1.html
The software can be downloaded at http://cta.irap.omp.eu/ctools/download.html.
If you encounter difficulties using ctools & GammaLib, please visit http://cta.irap.omp.eu/ctools/ for getting help.
The ctools & GammaLib development team
ctools version 1.0.1 has been released.
This is a bug fix for ctools release 1.0.The following bug fixes have been implemented:
ctools version 1.0.0 has been released.
This is the first stable release of ctools. The package is now under change control.The following changes have been implemented with respect to the previous release:
- Update end-user documentation
- Rename cshessobs to csiactobs and add csiactdata (#1608)
- Ignore errors in El Capitan post processing (#1605)
- Change GException to RuntimeError in cscripts (#1604)
- Adapt to GammaLib interface changs (#1603)
- Add csobs2caldb script (#1579)
- Add csobsinfo, csmodelinfo, csmodelmerge, cstsmapmerge (#1578)
- Implement handling of stacked data in csspec (#1566)
- Resolve Python test problem on El Capitan (#1563)
ctools version 0.10.0 has been released.
This is the final release before ctools version 1.0. The release implements all features that are scheduled for version 1.0, and serves as a beta release for version 1.0. The package has undergone extensive science verifications.The following changes have been implemented with respect to the previous release:
- Add science verification tests (#1555)
- Specifying --help on command line displays help text (#572)
- Limit power law parameters in ctbkgcube (#1547)
- Extend cspull to stacked analysis (#1503)
- Add tests for installed ctools version (#1486)
- Create cscripts Python module, move obsutils in that module (#1470)
- Add csinfo script (#1489)
- Removed obsutils.spectrum() function (replaced by csspec)
- Add cterror tool
- Check existence of ROI in ctbin (#1476)
- Allocate optimizer in ctlike upon construction (#1471)
- Move cscripts into the ctools Python module (#1470)
ctools version 0.9.0 has been release.
This is (hopefully) the final release before ctools version 1.0, and the release implements most of the features and issues that are scheduled for version 1.0. New with this version are the official CTA Instrument Response Functions that are bundled now within ctools.
The following changes have been implemented with respect to the previous release:
- Adapt to GammaLib 0.10.0 interface
- Do not import automatically Python scripts
- Support INDEF/NONE/UNDEF/UNDEFINED parameters in ctselect
- Modify cssens parameter interface (#1426)
- Add csobsdef script (#1429)
- Add ctulimit tool (#1363)
- Allow ctmodel usage for stacked analysis from command line
- Correct rate check in ctobssim for map cubes (#1452)
- Handle background cubes for stacked analysis (#1371)
- Add csspec script (#1364)
- Add cslightcrv script (#1365)
- Correct sensitivity computation in cssens
ctools version 0.9.0 requires gammalib version 0.10.0.
The ctools version 0.8.0 has been released.The release includes the following changes:
- Clean-up public interface
- Adapt to GammaLib 0.9.0 interface
- Add ctexpcube tool (generates exposure cube)
- Add ctpsfcube tool (generates PSF cube)
- Add ctbkgcube tool (generates background cube)
- Add ctcubemask tool (masks event bins in event cube)
- Add cttsmap tool (generates TS map)
- Add ctbutterfly tool (generates butterfly diagram)
- Add csresmap script (generates residual map)
- Introduce ctool base class
- ctbin now always merges event lists into a single counts cube
- ctmodel now always creates a single model cube
- Support energy dispersion in ctobssim, ctlike and ctmodel
- Correct ctobssim for thread safety
- Support save and user energy thresholds in ctselect
- Correctly apply time references in ctselect
- Reduce memory usage
- Move obsutils to ctools namespace
- Add several functions to obsutils
- Enhance documentation
If you want to be in the stream of ctools and GammaLib related informations, please subscribe to the ctools mailing list (email@example.com).
To subscribe to this list you simply need to send an e-mail to
The third ctools coding sprint will take place at MPIK, Heidelberg (Germany) in the week 7-11 July 2014. For more information, please check the page https://cta-redmine.irap.omp.eu/projects/ctools/wiki/Third_coding_sprint.
ctools-00-06-01 was just released.
This is a bug fix release. The following bug fixes are included:
- Added missing hyphens in pfiles synchronisation section (#1091)
- Add configuration test script (#1091)
- Correctly filter instrument and id attributes in ctobssim
- Use reworked GCaldb for calibration data access (#1116)
ctools-00-07-01 requires GammaLib-00-08-01.
The second ctools/gammalib code sprint will take place from the 27th to the 31st of January of 2014 at DESY (Zeuthen, Germany). Please have a look at https://cta-redmine.irap.omp.eu/projects/ctools/wiki/Second_coding_sprint for more information.
Also available in: Atom